Unfortunately, the average multivitamin is not enough to put an end to alcohol withdrawals. I found relief over time, gradually, and I tried many supplements that did not work. The process was worthwhile because every now and then, I would discover a miracle supplement that would catapult my sense of well-being to new heights. It will be hard to eat in the first few days of a drug or alcohol detox, but eat what you can.
Billica told Healthline that everyone entering InnerBalance Health Center’s addiction treatment program is generally started on a basic level of nutritional support, including a multivitamin. Nutritional supplementation is then fine-tuned based on lab test results. A similar approach is followed at other holistic treatment centers. A personalized plan can help make the most of nutritional therapy, so you may want to consider working with a dietitian.
Exclusive Lifestyle, Nutrition & Health Advice
Once specific deficiencies have been targeted, the nutritionist can plan meals designed to replenish the missing nutrients while also providing the client with well-balanced amounts of all six essential nutrients. Neuroplasticity is the brain’s ability to form new connections and rearrange old ones, typically in response to injury, disease or a change in the environment. The development of addiction is itself an example of neuroplasticity, as the reward pathway’s activity chemically adapts to the presence of drugs or alcohol. Carbohydrates, or carbs, are another nutrient that has been targeted for heavy reduction or elimination by diet fads. However, carbohydrates are essential for the function of the central nervous system and brain. They are so important that the Dietary Guidelines for Americans suggests 45% to 65% of daily calories should come from carbs.
- Micronutrients are just as important, but you don’t need to consume as much of them to stay healthy.
- However, these supplements may not provide enough vitamin B1, which is essential for preventing a condition called Wernicke’s encephalopathy (WE), a medical emergency.
- Alcohol can not only affect the numbers of your L-Glutamine levels but also how your body produces it as well.
- If individuals believe they have a problem with alcohol or if they drink more than the recommended amounts, they should speak with their doctor for support and advice.
- People who already have access to whole foods and meals that have a low GI may opt for an outpatient holistic treatment program that doesn’t supply meals, such as the Health Recovery Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
If your goal is to begin an empowering, holistic adventure to start living your best life beyond alcohol, check out Total Alcohol Recovery 2.0. Quitting drinking is best done with support, along with a solid recovery plan. Take into account your unique situation and try to determine the factors that contributed to your drinking vitamins for recovering alcoholics problem. Address these issues while being sure to repair your body from alcohol’s damage. Here’s everything you need to know about using herbal supplements for alcohol withdrawal. We’ll dive into each type in related articles to help you determine whether or not you think these alcohol detox supplements are right for you.
The Best Vitamins for a Person With Alcohol Use Disorder
Alcohol-induced liver damage, extracellular matrix changes, and inflammation have all been linked to acetaldehyde [26,27]. Its actions are triggered by the formation of ROS and a redox imbalance https://ecosoberhouse.com/ (NAD/NADH). You’ll need to be especially careful not to replace alcohol with sugar or caffeine. They can also affect your mood when they wear off, which could make you want to drink.
Ashley Loeb Blassingame — a Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor, Relapse Prevention Specialist, and Interventionist — had several tips for cutting back on your alcohol consumption. Dr. Daniel Atkinson, GP Clinical Lead at Treated, explained that although research doesn’t show that drinking can destroy brain cells, it can lead to shrinkage. About eight months after they began treatment, the higher-risk drinkers had significantly less volume in 12 out of 13 regions when compared with the controls. The authors suggest that, given the difficulty of quitting entirely, cutting back alcohol consumption may be a more doable goal for some than complete abstinence. No content on this site, regardless of date, should ever be used as a substitute for direct medical advice from your doctor or other qualified clinician. In fact, according to some experts, the worst symptoms occur when levels reach zero.
Cutting back on alcohol use improves brain health
Detoxing isn’t just about removing the bad stuff — it’s also about replacing it with good. Alcohol drains your body of vital nutrients and vitamins it needs and by taking vitamin supplements you help to rebuild your body’s supplies. It also helps to reduce or remove withdrawal symptoms and helps you to feel better quicker.
- Some studies have shown that adding Vitamin C to your diet can help alleviate symptoms not limited to alcohol withdrawal and heroin withdrawal.
- Billica told Healthline that everyone entering InnerBalance Health Center’s addiction treatment program is generally started on a basic level of nutritional support, including a multivitamin.
- We found that these recovering alcoholics ate adequate amounts of all nutrients except for vitamin B6, magnesium, iron and zinc.